Rua Island (Illa da Rua) is a Galician island located almost in the center of the Ria de Arousa, 4 km southeast of the port of Riveira. It is one of the most isolated islands of the ría of Arousa, and one of the most prominent despite its limited 4 hectares. It is entirely rock, formed by large stones of granite and it is difficult to approach. It has an important lighthouse which is similar to the one in the island of Ons, built by the same architect (Rafael de la Cerda) in 1864. The Island was inhabited by lighthouse keepers until the automation of the lighthouse.